By Winfield Townley Scott,Merle Armitage
From "a soiled hand":
Words are very robust. you are not definite of that? reflect on every little thing you will not say.
- Wonderful comment in a word I had this week from William Carlos Williams. He referred to the "disease" of desirous to write poetry; stated he have been "off" poetry for plenty of months and—he said—"I suppose fresh and unhappy."
- One cause of holding this type of computing device: you could wear list the retort you could not examine ultimately night's party.
- Photographs of Henry James in his center years will be commented upon. long gone is the shy aesthete of the younger portrait (by LaFarge?) . This bearded guy has a fierce glance, even a bestial one. this is perhaps-I do not know-James at his such a lot generative. back this guy disappears within the shaven, bald, ultimate James, the recognized James—the Grand Lama.
- I spotted whilst Lindsay (thirteen) learn aloud a passage from a searching publication the opposite day he suggested "genital" as "genteel." i would like to see a literary heritage titled "The Genital Tradition."
- Contrast "business ethics" and the ethics of artwork. not anyone writes a poem hoping it is going to put on out in 4 or 5 years.
Between 1951 and 1966 the celebrated American poet Winfield Townley Scott saved a sequence of notebooks within which he set down his ideas on poetry, literature, the literary scene, and existence often. almost immediately earlier than his premature dying in 1968 he made a range of the entries he suggestion have been top and gave it the identify "a soiled hand." those perceptive notes, a few tart, a few light, a few boisterous, a few wistful, supply us a impressive perception into the workings of his inventive brain. George P. Elliott has acknowledged of Scott: "In a truly stable approach, i feel he was once as rock-bottom American a poet as we've got had given that Frost." The creation is via Scott's friend Merle Armitage, who additionally designed the unique variation of this book.
Read or Download a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott PDF
Best asian american literature books
Exam Thesis from the 12 months 2008 within the topic American experiences - Literature, grade: 1,3, college of Dortmund, sixty seven entries within the bibliography, language: English, summary: The technological know-how fiction (SF) author Octavia Estelle Butler (1947-2006) was once a pioneer in lots of methods. She received a number of Hugo and Nebula awards and used to be seriously acclaimed because the so much profitable and such a lot talented girl African-American writer in a style that remains in most cases ruled by means of white men.
Seminar paper from the yr 2004 within the topic American stories - tradition and utilized Geography, grade: 2,7, Humboldt-University of Berlin (Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik), path: lacking moms – being concerned Fathers – Absent mom and dad. transferring kinfolk types in fresh younger grownup Fiction within the united states.
Conversations with Sterling Plumpp is the 1st choice of interviews with the popular poet of Home/Bass and different much-admired works. Spanning thirty years and drawn from literary and scholarly journals and different media, those interviews supply insights into his poetic innovation of blues and jazz and his mastery of black vernacular in poetry.
African american citizens within the Civil warfare: A Pictorial historical past of braveness and satisfaction highlights the battle as by no means earlier than. Richly illustrated with 1000's of illustrations, together with infrequent Civil struggle images, work, etchings, lithographs, and maps reproduced in complete colour. In its visible energy and humanistic portrayal of the African American adventure, the warfare comes alive in a newly centred viewpoint.
- The Portable Malcolm X Reader: A Man Who Stands for Nothing Will Fall for Anything (Penguin Classics)
- Against the Closet: identity, political longing, and black figuration
- Walking the Line - Girl, Interrupted on Her Way from Adolescence to Womanhood at a Borderline to a Parallel Universe
- Thoreau and the Language of Trees
Additional info for a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott
a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott by Winfield Townley Scott,Merle Armitage